Sharon Baptist Church was first organized as Sandy River Chappel between May 9, 1735 and April 20, 1744. This is when it was first noted in the Amelia County Order Book. The name Sandy River originated from the local stream bearing the same name, a common practice during this period. The crude house of worship was built by the Church of England. Sometime between 1744 and 1749, Sandy River Chappel became Sandy River Church.